[access-uk] Re: Olympus DM5 Help

  • From: Mike Ray <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:54:37 +0000

Hello Mo,

I have managed to do it by a system of trial and error!

I have established that when you go into date and time setting, the hour
is selected by default.  Pressing the right key takes you to minute and
then you can press up or down the number of time required.

From the hour, pressing left once goes to year, left again to day of
month, and left again to month.

Pressing function key 1 when in the home menu speaks time and date so
you can check it is right.

Speech recognition is a dead loss I think.

I have found the text manual and will add my findings to my copy.  My
opinion of it has changed from "it's going out the window in a minute"
to "yep, it's usable".

Mike

On 10/11/2014 13:32, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
> hello mike.
>
> you can't set the time and date using speech feedback at all on these
> units. it requires sited assistance. they are excellent units though for
> quality of recording etc. with mine i never bother with the time and
> date. i just go by the file names in each folder that i record, the
> latest one will be at the bottom and i just rename them accordingly.
>
> all the best,
>
> Mo.
>
> On 10/11/2014 13:22, Mike Ray wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just bought an Olympus DM5 digital voice recorder from Amazon, used.
>>
>> It's a great little unit but...I'm trying to set the date and time, and
>> at no time does it speak anything, either month, day, hour, minute or
>> anything.  I know the clock is wrong because when I record anything it
>> is given a date and time which is completely wrong.
>>
>> Either I am doing something completely wrong, or Olympus are the
>> stupidest bunch of people on the planet.  Why would they produce a
>> device like this with voice-guidance throughout except when setting date
>> and time?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.  I would love to be proven wrong and told
>> I am being a wally.  But unless I can set the time and date without
>> sighted assistance it is going back.
>>
>> Mike

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

The box said: 'install Windows XP, 7 or better'. So I installed Linux

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/
From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi hackers