[access-uk] Re: Off-topic - RNIB Branding

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:57:47 +0000

Thanks Jackie.

I think the re-branding from 'blind and partially-sighted people" to "people
with sight loss" is a significant step in the wrong direction, but it confirms
what many of us have thought for a long time - that they are really not
interested in the blind.

1.       As I was born with roughly the amount of sight I have, when I read
that, my gut instinct says: "Do they mean me? They surely don't!"

2.       It leads to muddled thinking, in which some politicians now think that
congenitally blind people don't need financial support because they have
learned to cope throughout their lives...then the RNIB criticises the
politician for making such a crass statement, when it's only the product of the
seeds they have sown.

3.       And most importantly, in the spirit of "nothing about us without us",
I don't recall the RNIB asking people whether they wanted to be feferred to as
'having, experiencing, or even suffering' sight loss, so the term smacks of
being foisted upon us by sighted do-gooders.

I wonder where is the best place to air these views and open the debate. I know
for certain that the profoundly Deaf community wouldn't put up with this type
of nonsense.

Best,
Clive