[access-uk] Re: Off Topic: School bans little girls white cane

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 13:15:54 +0000

Hi John,

I once had a cyclist knock my cane out of my hand. It sailed into the air and
landed six feet away, luckily on the pavement, not in the path of heavy
traffic. When he brought it back he complained that I'd put my cane in the way
of his wheels. A passer-by asked him in very strong terms: "What the ...heck...
were you doing cycling on the pavement in the first place you prat?" To put it
in another way, surely at the Bristol school, the blind kids shouldn't be
caneless. The sighted kids shouldn't be careless.

Best,
Clive

From: <,c;live.,l;ever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, 20 November 2015 12.48 pm
Subject: [access-uk] Off Topic: RE: School bans little girls white cane

Hi Mike,

In one sense, I can imagine some scenarios in which a cane may trip a sighted
person. However, isn't the ban of the long cane the wrong way of solving the
problem. Sighted pupils should be taught and reminded to look where they're
going. In a collision, the blind person has a valid excuse. The sighted
person hasn't. I guess the school would have thought it easier to ban the
cane, used by one person, than to ban, say, running along the corridor. It
all reminds me of something David Reynolds told us at school. His class were
out in the centre of Worcester, in a mobility lesson. He'd touched the ankles
of one of the locals with his cane, and as he waked away, heard the priceless
line:
";They boys from the bloynd callege, they never look where they'm going,
they, do they?" Well actually, as in the Bristol school, that's the job of
the sighted person. So, before they banned the cane, did they check whether
school rules gave regard to the need for due care and attention?

Best,
Clive