[access-uk] Re: Off Topic Lists killing organisations

  • From: "kevin and emma" <kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:05:47 +0100

hi ray, exactly! complaining about ot posts on list does no good on the
whole, it just winds other members up. the fact is, unless someone actually
*wants* to get involved in campaigning for x and y,it's difficult to get
them to do so. it might also be partly because of the miles of red tape and
hours and hours of work needed to get even a small result, that puts people
off. take for example something that happened to us a week or so back. the
itchen toll bridge in southampton. to cross it, you have to pay £0.60.
unless you have a disabled person in the car, who has a disabled badge, and
who doesn't pay road tax and is on the higher rate mobility care component
of DLA, (like we always carry such letters about with us!!) we wer in
parents-in-laws car, they own it. my wife is on the higher rate mobility
component of DLA, and there were in fact 3 of us in the car registered
disabled, plus one guide dog. at first we were told we have to pay the £0.60
and claim it back later. eventually 3 people and 15 minutes later, we got
through without paying the toll. this was done purely on principle. now for
the sake of £0.60, it was a hell of a lot of hassle! and frankly, next time
we wouldn't bother. that's the sort of thing, on a minor scale that puts
people off i think. a lot of hassle and time for no much gain. beaurocracy
at it's best! smile. a couple years ago, we went over the sky bridge, again
a toll bridge. no concessions allowed at the time i think. but, we rolled up
to the toll booth, the guy came over, we told him we were blind and were the
any concessions, no he said. but he let us through for free anyhow.
my point is i suppose, people will campaign for stuff they really feel
strongly about. but for a lot people the gains for such campaigning, aren't
worth the hassle, time and effort needed to get it. and that has nothing to
do with OT postings on lists such as this!
kevin (lord L)
"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without
notice." - will durant
email/msn: kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx