[access-uk] OT political correctness gone mad?

  • From: "kevin and emma" <kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:04:32 -0000

personally i found this brief article quite funny! just use your
imagination. taken from the thesun.co.uk

By DAVE MASTERS
COUNCIL chiefs are offering special job application forms for wannabe
dustmen - who are BLIND.

Officials have Braille packs for hopefuls going for the £18k-a-year position
in Tower Hamlets, London.

The vacancy - which closes on Friday - is posted on their official website,
where you can order the prints if the large text version still isn't clear
enough.

It says the successful candidate will be expected to 'assist the driver of
the vehicle by ensuring that appropriate safety measures are in place and
monitoring is undertaken whilst the collection process is in progress.'

It goes on: "We welcome applications from suitably skilled candidates
regardless of ethnicity, gender, disability, sexuality, religion or age."

A spokesman for the dustmen's union Unison said: "We recognise it would be
unlikely that a blind person would take on a job of this type.

"It seems to be just a standard part of any recruitment forms with the
authority."

But Bill Alker, of the RNIB, praised the council. He said: "I am partially
sighted and was employed as a dustman.

"I was good at the job and enjoyed doing it. Councils are doing the right
thing by having job application forms in Braille and others should follow
suit.

Kevin - co-owner/moderator of the blind gamers discussion list
contact me via email/msn:
kream@xxxxxxxxxxxx