[access-uk] Re: OT: Bashonline list

  • From: "Georgina Joyce" <gena-j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:14:56 +0100

Hi

No not really, I worked in the field of supporting people with learning
difficulties and realised that we in the visual impairment world are
years behind.  We knock rehab workers giving out their liquid level
indicators but do we do anything about it?  Like on this list, I might
ask, what are the shortcuts for changing the font in MS Word but what if
I wanted to know how to boil an egg, or how to find a vacancy.  I can
see why it may be seen as being American but they do have some
interesting models of self advocacy.  But I mainly focused on the UK and
appreciate that an understanding of how other cultures deal with
blindness can be empowering.  We in Britain don't have the absolute
answer nor does any other culture.

In the 21st century, we in Britain often feel the cold wind of
discrimination.  We lack the political clout to do anything about it.
By being supportive to each other and communicating effective strategies
we might be in a position to dictate to service providers what services
are useful to us and what are an insult, in the future.

HTH
Gena