[access-uk] Re: OCR in Webvisum: anyone got it to work?

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:48:25 +0100

Ray – the webvisum FAQ does say that this feature only works on certain sorts
of images, or at least only on images used for navigation andthat it is far
from perfect and that they will work on it further.  The fact that if you
select and right click on an image on this site, the OCR option doesn’t  show
up as one of the functions available suggests to me that this image type or
something about these images aren’t supported.  In this case the links are
infact hotspots within an image map so it may infact be the case that there
isn’t even any graphical text to ocr, or that the webvisum tool isn’t able to
differentiate between the selected and not select hotspot within the image map
so doesn’t know where to ocr.

Adrian Higginbotham,

Manager, Leading edge research

Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994

Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/

BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ

        From: Andy Collins <mailto:andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Ray - not sure where you get alt control 5 from, others that have been
using the webvisum add on, say the key stroke is control 6; i can't confirm or
otherwise, as I haven't had any success with it myself! -

        Andy