[access-uk] Re: Nokia C5 refusing to check email via imap or pop

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 12:50:05 +0100

Hi Mo, well as you say this is very strange. Just a thought, have you tried using different ports other than the default ones and see if that helps at all?

Cheers
Amro

-----Original Message----- From: Mobeen Iqbal
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 2:24 PM
To: BCAB Discussion List
Subject: [access-uk] Nokia C5 refusing to check email via imap or pop

Hello Everyone.

I have a very strange problem with some Nokia C5 mobile phones. If you
don't like reading long emails, stop now. Until a couple of months ago,
GMail was working fine on the Nokia C5 via imap. It suddenly stopped
working. I could send emails, but not receive them. Imap was enabled,
nothing had changed on my account and other email clients, such as
outlook, outlook express and thunderbird were all connecting without
complaint. I double checked settings and they were all correct.

I then deleted the account and tried readding it, no joy. tried changing
mobile tnetworks, still no joy though the web browser was working fine.

I then tried a totally different Nokia C5 via both pop and imap, it
wouldn't pull in any emails either. the phone would connect to 3G for a
split second like it was attempting to pole for new emails, then
disconnect. sending again wasn't an issue.

I then tried adding the account to a Nokia E50 to see if it was
something in nokia's C5 firmware, and before trying it i reset to
factory defaults. still no joy at all. I've tried disabling pop/imap and
reenabling it, nothing at all. all other clients are working. Am I then
to assume that Nokia have disabled email checking on their older phones?
I know the email checker service was taken down last year, but I was
under the impression that with manual configuration everything should
still work. Of course, it could be the SSL/TLS standard, but i've
enabled access for less secure apps in GMail and still nothing. Why
would the emails suddenly stop working when nothing changed and all
ports/security standards are set correctly?

Before people suggest scrapping the nokia phone in favour of
android/iOS, this isn't an option for the person i'm helping, so please
no responses with such suggestions.

If anyone has any ideas what else I could try, I'd be very grateful for
any advice.

thanks for reading,

Mo.