[access-uk] Re: No VAT exemption for Apple products

  • From: "Brian Cairnie" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:04:26 -0000

Hi All,

I have also been told this by HMRC, I should have been referring to zero
rated rather than  exempt.

In my experience I have also found discrepancies in the interpretation of
the rules by different VAT offices.  Like most government legislation it is
writing in very wooly language which is open to interpretation.  Until a
judge rules, it may be that we never find out the exact definition.

For example, in the DDA, the term 'reasonable adjustment' is found, but what
is the exact meaning of 'reasonable'?  I'm sure we all have a different take
on this.

Brian.