[access-uk] Re: Ninite has been stopped by Adobe from letting us update the Flash player, Crap-ware Free

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley23@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:17:58 +0100

You cannot updae flash with Nimite anymore.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Colin Howard" <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
From: From Jared The Cone Dog <terrieiphone@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 07:18:54 -0500

I got this from a different list thought that you would like to read this
one, so  read  below
Terrie

,Daily memo;
Handle  stress  like  a dog , if you can not  eat it, or play  with it ,
piss  on it and  walk  away! !

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Reginald George" <adapt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Meitheamh 2013 22:15:46 GMT-05:00
To: <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <nut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [real-eyes] this is Old News, but Ninite has been stopped by Adobe
from letting us update the Flash player, Crap-ware Free

Yes in May, Update flash.org went away.  I couldn't find the site of the
original news story, but this lovely rant by an effected blind individual is
worth the read.  Some would argue that we have no right to an adware free
update experience, that if it's a pain for sighted folks it should be just
as bad for us. Well maybe we got spoiled. Ninite.com is just the bomb for busy technicians like me that need a free and easy way to install software
on multiple systems without junk and toolbars, and Adobe has taken some of
that joy away. Just like Napster and WinMX, enjoy these services while they are here because If big corporations can find a way to squash it, it will be
squashed.
Reg

Not cool, Adobe: Give the Ninite guys a job, not the middle finger . The
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/01/adobe_says_no/
It's worse than you think.

As a totally blind Geek, Adobe's site is a nightmare to navigate via Screen
Reader Environment (SRE) such as Jaws by Freedom Scientific or NVDA.

This issue is only compounded by Adobe's attempts to foist bundled crapware with the download, as I have to make Jaws read the page *twice* to make sure
Adobe hasn't "helpfully included" anything.

Once I've finally managed to get Adobe to understand that all I want is the
update, then hit the download link, it's a crapshoot if it ever actually
initiates
the download.

There's no audio "blip" to tell me I've got a Security Notification & need
to Alt+N to the Notification Toolbar to accept the download, Control+J
doesn't
report any files being downloaded, and UAC hasn't screamed for attention, so I'm left scratching my head wondering if I've actually activated the damned
link.

Hit it again, and this time, despite still no audio cues to the contrary, it
gives me the "File Complete" ding to say it's done?

WTF? Control+J, and lo & behold, it shows the Adobe installer as having
finished downloading.

When did it get there, because IE didn't seem to think it important enough
to announce...

*Sigh*

Anyway, after getting the file, then using the Properties to Unblock it, and
acknowledging UAC whining about "Not trusting unknown sources on the
internet"
(If only it knew!), the updater finally starts...

Only to present a User Interface that, to put it quite bluntly, deserves to
have everyone at Adobe nailed to a tree limb & used as a Public Piñata.

Unmarked & unlabeled buttons, Required Check Boxes that don't get read by
the SRE, elements the SRE can't find much less tell me about, and absolutely
*ZERO* assistance from Adobe on the matter.

IF I manage to get it to actually install the update, then it "helpfully"
launches a website wanting to know how I feel about the experience.

Really? You do *NOT* want to know how I really feel, because it involves
Industrial grade Nail Guns, trees, &
electrified-barbed-wire-wrapped-baseball-bats
applied repeatedly to your genitals.

Then Ninite steps up to the plate.

The site is a *joy* to navigate, everything is properly labeled &
identified, there's no wondering "WTF does this bit do?", the check boxes
for the files
I want are concise, and when I click that download link, It Just Works.

The file is small, I don't have to Unblock it (UAC doesn't think it's
malware? BAH HAhahahaha) and it does what it firkin says it'll do.

"Install the latest Adobe? Ok, hold on... downloading... done. Applying...
done. Anything else with that today, or can I remove myself from memory,
Sir?"

I've already uninstalled Java because of all the exploits it has.

I've uninstalled Adobe Reader for the same reason.

If HTML5 were more prevalent, Adobe Flash Player would get ripped out "With Extreme Prejudice", and Adobe would get a "STFU, GTFO, FOAD, & HAND" letter
from me.

As it is, I'm stuck using Adobe's Flash Player, and it's about as Blind
Accessible as a rabid badger is friendly & cuddly.

At least you can *SEE* the crap it pulls.

The Blind/Visually Impaired have to rely on Adobe having the brains to
properly design a UI that's Accessible such that a SRE stands a chance in
hell of
reading it to us.

Want to take a wild arsed guess as to how well Adobe's done that?

And one more post I liked.

Bravo!

"Reader, Flash and Air are - alongside Oracle's Java browser plugin - the
screen door through which the raw unfiltered sewage of the internet oozes
into
the homes of netizens. These products are awful, the security is worse and
the management of them over the years beggars belief."

I have never seen this sentiment better expressed.