[access-uk] Re: News from Hims

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:00:50 +0000

Thanks for that info.  I just say the price for these software dictionaries
does seem excessively high.  I board and Oxforde Dictionary and Thesaurus for
my iPhone for £13.99.

Ian Macrae
Commissioning Editor
Disability Now
Tel +44(20) 7619 7760
Mob +44(07)824 900 855
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/>
follow us @disabilitynow<https://twitter.com/DisabilityNow> -
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Disability-Now/448258551882688> and
sign up to our eNewsletter
here<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/newsletter-subscription>
Disability Now, 6-10 Market Road, London, N7 9PW

On 17 Mar 2015, at 10:41, Jackie Brown
<jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

A couple of snippets of info to post that I have picked up from Hims.

1.  There is now a Collins English dictionary and thesaurus available for
their note-takers priced at £115.00.  It also offers other languages for
those interested.  You require your product's serial number, and the MAC
address so that Hims can send you a link and authorise the dictionary to
that device.

2.  I think there is an update to 8.2 firmware on the Sense note-takers as I
checked last night, and one downloaded.  I don't see any changes, so maybe
they are bug fixes and enhancements, I haven't had time to really go through
the update thoroughly yet.

3.  And it seems that there is yet another DAISY player ready to hit the
arena, this time the Blaze ET.  I understand the device has all the features
of the Blaze EZ, but instead uses a numeric keypad on the unit similar to
the Plextalk.  This new keyboard layout has to be a good move as I just
couldn't see the point in only a few buttons on the EZ.

4.  There is also a small Braille display to come as well, known as the
Beetle.  This is designed for use with mobile devices.

It's not the best website, but all this info can be gleaned from
www.himsintl.com<http://www.himsintl.com>.

And Sight and Sound is the UK dealer for this kit.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Emails: thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:Jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx>