[access-uk] Re: New online RNIB library catalogue

  • From: James <jimmcauslan1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:34:17 +0100

Hi Jackie,

Yes, I agree. I've just phoned customer service for my password and lo and behold it's my post code in caps, smile.

It's a pity they've abandoned the use of headers to quickly nav down and up the page.

The guy I spoke to kept on telling me what was on the right and left hand side of the page till I told him I used a screen reader.
I'm sure we'll all just have to get used to it untill enought people complain.
Jim
On 29/04/2015 12:40, Jackie Brown wrote:

I sincerely apologise for cross-posting this, especially if you subscribe to
all three lists.

I am absolutely furious, to put it mildly, and feel we deserve an
explanation from RNIB on their half-cocked handling of this new facility.

The new catalogue has gone live, and if you visit
www.rniblibrary.com
you can hopefully browse for what you are looking for. But here is the
catch. You need to log in at some point. The first edit field requires you
to enter your Customer Number. The next field requires your password. But,
guess what? You don't have a password to use in the second edit field, so
you need to call RNIB Helpline. The person who helped me was very nice, and
he told me he had only just received the information that required him to
generate a password to go with my Customer Number. He called me back once
he had this info and passed it onto me.

At no point on the new site does it tell you that you need to contact RNIB
to do this. There is a log-in link, but there is no point using that until
you have a password from them. Why didn't they put a Register link on there
so you could go through the process of creating your own password like most
sites offer?

And so to searching for something. I put in Peter James just to see how the
search panned out. I chose Talking Books from the combo box. The search
results brought up six pages. There is no heading per result, so the
quickest way to run through the results is to press x for each tick box to
give you the item it has found. And even more annoying was the fact that
before I could get to all the stuff by Peter James, I got items by people
called Peter, or whose surnames are James. When I finally got to page
three, I found the books by Peter James. If you type in a search with Peter
James, wouldn't it be more sensible to have books by him first, then add
those by Peter or James afterwards?

I did offer to help test this site, but was never contacted. It isn't the
best experience when using a screenreader, but then since when did it matter
to RNIB how people with no sight at all embrace their new facilities?

Sorry to be grumpy about this, but when we have waited for so long to see
the new online library, only to discover we need to contact RNIB and all
that involves to have a password generated, it makes me wonder why we bother
at all!

Kind Regards,

Jackie Brown
Emails: thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx