[access-uk] Re: New computer recomendations

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:39:22 -0000

firstly, and importantly, nod does not contain a firewall.  even if you do
buy a PC with norton security on it there is nothing to stop you
uninstalling it.  I agree with you that norton is no good.  it is
inaccessible, resource hungry and generally the antivirus part of the
software gets poor reports in many antivirus checks.

I generally use the windows firewall though the main weakness with this is
it does not have outward bound protection, only incomming.

As far as best products to buy are concerned, there is no doubt that Dell
does have some of the most competetive deals available and it is worth
getting prices from them.  The website could be more accessible though and
you might get through to a scratchy line in indea if they haven't gone on
strike protesting about big brother of course!!!

I have also used a company based in glasgow called EuroPC.  visit
www.europc.co.uk
telephone 0870 458 9111

I have found with this company if you give them the spec you want they will
look up the systems they have for you and they can customise them e.g. by
adding a PCI soundcard as well as the one built on to the mother board.
this company does various well known makes like toshiba, dell etc but it
also has PCs called famous brand which are packard bell machines without all
the software.  I have ordered 2 machines from them and had no trouble.  one
I also ordered a third machine which died after a week.  this can happen
with any PC.  the technical support was prompt and eventually resulted in me
needing a new machine which came next day.

If you have a good independent retailer near you you could have a PC built
to your specifications but this may cost more.

A number of PC companies seem to be getting quite good reviews in the press
at the moment including PCNextDay (www.pcnextday.co.uk and Mesh
www.meshcomputers.com

Mesh and dell also let you customise your own PC

PCNext day do not seem to let you customise machines from what I can find
but the Zoostorm 2-5402 looks great value particularly if you need a monitor
as well.

Regards

Graham