[access-uk] New and possibly more accessibleway of purchasing goods

  • From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:31:51 +0100

Hi all,
I went to my local asda store today to get some groceries, and I came
across a computerised system whereby you pay for your goods by first
sliding across the item(s) across a barcode scanner, and the built-in
speech reads out the price of each item. Once the price is read out you
place it in a basket ready for paying. Next, when you're ready, you use
the touch screen interface to select "pay for items". You can either
insert cash into the slot at the top of the device, or you can swipe
your card. I was so impressed by this system for its ease of use and 80%
accessibility, that I thought I'd like to share it on this list. Has
anyone else used this "fast lane" system? If so what were your
experiences, good or bad?
Thanks, and I'd love to hear from you.
--
  Christopher Hallsworth