[access-uk] Re: New BBC IPlayer - can you work out how to use it?

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:05:38 +0100

Hi, there are various threads on various lists, but I think the best way of
raising it is by adding your voice to the threads on the uk radio listeners
list, detils on Whitestick.co.uk. The beeb seem to have a few people on
there.

Cheers
Dave

  From: James O'Dell

  Hi Ray

  Latest JFW and flash Player don't help things much I'm afraid.  About to
try SA to Go.  I think it would be perfectly possible for the beeb to do
something here by building in a "back one minute" and "forward one minute"
button into the flash content.  The have obviously done something to make
buttons such as 'play', 'pause' and 'restart' accessible since the previous
version of the IPlayer, these now speak correctly without custom labels in
JAWS.  So adding a couple of extra buttons would seem to be the way to go,
also possibly an edit box which would allow you to locate a specific
percentage or time position within the content.  As it is all we have is a
slider control which by definition can't be made accessible, at least not
within the environment of a browser.  For the same reason, i.e. the fact
that we are dealing with a web browser rather than a standard application,
scripting won't help here either.  Another issue is that, at least with
JAWS, you have to keep pressing insert +escape to force JAWS to refresh the
virtual buffer whenever a page loads and then every time you activate one of
the flash elements, this updates the information and controls that JAWS can
see.  So it's not intuitive at all.

  Cheers

  James

Internal Virus Database is out of date.