[access-uk] Re: New Accessible Phone for Blind People

  • From: "Terry Clasper" <terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:13:31 +0100

Perfectly explained Ian!

Terry Clasper.
E-Mail, terry.clasper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Twitter: @terryclasper

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Iain Lackie
Sent: 15 July 2012 23:20
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: New Accessible Phone for Blind People

That misses the point. The screenreader aims to make the phone or computer
accessible as far as it is possible to do so. The choice of what is used is
left to the user. What we might call for the sake of this argument the
"Guide" approach makes choices as to what the user might want to use. It is
the same difference between an extracted talking newspaper where someone
else has made an editorial choice as to what you will get and the whole text
of the newspaper where the reader makes the choices of what he/she wants to
read.

The problem with the "guide" approach is that though it offers what appears
to be a quick start in getting things done, the user is stuffed when he/she
wants to do anything outside the capabilities of the program. This is why so
many people find themselves progressing from Guide to a screenreading
program such as NVDA or even a paid-for program.

Iain