[access-uk] Re: Netgem iPlayer help

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:09:20 +0100

Hi Damon - not sure how to independantly turn ad on and off assuming of
course that its an iplyaer plus that you have e.g. that it's ad enabled
but yes you can adjust the volume of the ad seperately from that of the
main tv audio. Press the info button, which is the right hand one of the
two small widely spaced buttons which are above the upper most of the 4
landscape rectangular buttons at the bottom of the remote. Then use the
doughnut to adjust the relative volumes, up and down does one, while
left and right does the other - can't recall for certain which is which,
I think the vertical axis is the ad volume while horizontal is the tv
volume, right being up and left down.  Note that you have to press the
info button and the doughnut in quick succession. You can hit info just
once and then repeatedly press the doughnut but if you are too slow you
will need to press info again.

We the talking parts - the box doesn't do text to speech however it
doesn't have channel 900 assigned to the tvhelp.org.uk website which
includes listing of ad freeview programs and audio access to a limited
range of websites.  You'll need to connect the netgem to the internet to
access this though either via the built in dial up modem or your
broadband connectin.  If using dial-up you can use the pre configured
internet connection which is charged at local rate, or you can configure
the box to use your own dial-up, wired or wireless ISP connection.  I've
just set mine up with wireless access to my home network, the netgem end
of things is simple it's just a bit of a job finding compatible
accessories as they're all ratehr old now - a nice plus to doing this is
that my other half can also use it to access the Web and our Email
accounts via the tv.  All this possible because the netgem runs on a
version of lynux, however as it is not an open source version it isn't
user updatable although you can find some hacks on the web that let play
around with the interface e.g re-size windows etc.

Adrian Higginbotham
Accessibility and inclusion adviser
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Internal extension #2287
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ