[access-uk] Re: Nebula: Software for Extracting Audio

  • From: "Stephen Green" <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:34:12 -0000

Hi Pele

This can be achieved in a couple of ways, depending on whether or not you want to watch the video first.

If not, probably the best way is to let DigiTV record them as MP2 files in the first place and convert them toMP3's with CDEX. You can make DigiTV produce MP2 files via the recordings settings in the DigiTV setting menu, which is found in the file menu.

First navigate the settings tree by using the left cursor twice and the down cursor four times. This will settle you on the recordings branch where you should right cursor twice into the general page.

Tab four times to the recorded file attributes - audio description and uncheck this box. You will lose the audio description on the resultant file, but if you don't do this, the sound file will be slow and contain lots of digital squeaks and blips.

Then tab four times until you get to the recording file extension TV list, where you should cursor down once to set it to MP2.

Finally tab seven times to the O.K. button and press the spacebar to get back into the main DigiTV screen.

DigiTV will now record all TV programmes as MP2 sound files which will play in WinAmp, but not on an MP3 player. However, you can convert MP2 files into MP3 very simply within CDEX via the convert/re-encode compressed files menu option.

If however you want to watch the video first, and then extract the audio, this can be done by using the demux tool within DigiTV , but it's a little complicated and if you write to me off list, I'll send you detailed instructions, which when you've done it once soon becomes second nature. If you happen to have recorded an audio described programme, you can also use this tool to split the multiplexed audio description track from the rest of the soundtrack and then merge them into one MP3 file via gold wave or sound forge. I've never attempted it myself, but Nebula assure me it can be done.

This will allow you to make MP3 copies of your favourite TV programmes within a few minutes, rather than playing them and recording the output from your soundcard.

HTHSteve Green

Stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pele West" <pele.west@xxxxxxxxxx>