[access-uk] NVDA and skipe program

  • From: "Scott C" <castledine10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 20:40:34 -0000

Just saw this and thought some could use it.

Not my work I'm just sharing the info.
         Hello all,

         I am proud to announce that I've developed an application that
         brings better Skype support to NVDA! In fact, this will be
         alternative to
         SKRead, which is discontinued.
         So what it does?
         SkypeTalking is primarily created for NVDA users, however in the
         future it will also support JAWS and Window-Eyes.
         The main reason why I've chosen NVDA is because All other screen
         readers have already some kind of access to Skype, and they can
         read
         online statuses, incoming chats, incoming calls etc. Well, with
         SkypeTalking, now NVDA can too!
         Breaf details:
         This is SkypeTalking version 0.5, and in this first version it
         currently
         supports the following basic features:
         1. Communication between Skype API and nvdaControllerClient -- the
         output is given in both speech and braille,
         2. Announcement of incoming calls, incoming/outgoing chat
         messages, and
         user statuses including online, ofline, away etc.
         3. Announcement of call statuses such as call connected, call
         dropped,
         call finished etc.
         4. And it's more to come, including support for other screen
         readers,
         configuration dialog etc. etc.!
         This program runs in system tray. In right-click popup menu
         there are
         two options available, About and Exit. They are self-describing,
         so no
         need to talk too much.
         The program is OpenSource, though currently access to source
         code is
         only available if you contact me privately until I find an SVN
         repository where I'll put my source code. BTW: It's programmed in
         Python! Used dependencies are Skype4Py and wxPython, at the moment.
         Important!
         SkypeTalking.exe needs authorization to access Skype, so you must
         unblock SkypeTalking.exe application under
         tools/options/advanced/Manage
         other program's access to skype link before using it! Otherwise,
         the

         application will not work! Please don't say I didn't worn you,
         and don't
         send me any emails that the program is not working before trying to
         authorize it for use with Skype!
         I hope that SkypeTalking works well with both 3.x and 4.x versions.
         Currently I'm using it with Skype 4.2, on Windows XP machine.
         The application is portable, and doesn't need to be installed,
         though I
         am planning to make an installer for it in the future.

         Download link for SkypeTalking version 0.5 is:
         http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4078384/HKSoftware/SkypeTalking0.5_Portable.exe

         Extract somewhere and enjoy! Note, if you move program to any other
         place, it may happen that you will have to reauthorize it like
         it is
         case with Miranda with Skype.

         Happy skyping with NVDA!