[access-uk] Re: NOVATECH COMPUTERS

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:14:55 +0100

Hi Carol. Here are my views on your questions.

In terms of speed, you may have had computers either that are old running windows XP that have been upgraded to windows vista/7, or a computer running windows Vista. There may not necessarily be anything wrong with your computer, its probably the operating system. Often, a memory upgrade or upgrading to a solid state drive can very dramatically improve performance with huge cost savings. I recently upgraded a friends computer running a quad core processor from 5 years ago, and windows boots within 20 seconds and that's windows7 ultimate, the most resource hungry version of windows 7! Windows 8 should run fine on any windows7 certified PC. an intel Dual core with 4GB of ram minimum should be perfectly sufficient, with AMD i'd recommend going for a quad core CPU for maximum performance. My field is computer hardware, so i'd be more than happy to help you out in sourcing a computer, or performing an upgrade for you. Obviously i can not directly advertise these services on this list. I do not use Novatech. I have used them in the past but find ebuyer.com much better value and they have much more choice. Then there's the custom build option. A PC tailered to your specific requirements could cost you as little as £200 and still keep you in excellent stead for years to come. Personally, all my computers for my self and for clients are running 32bit versions of windows7. Again, people will argue that you need 64bit for computers with more than 4GB of ram. this isn't always the case. manufacturers provide support for ram up to 16GB for windows7 32bit. again, this was the case on a friend's laptop. The laptop was upgraded from 4GB to 8GB and is running a lot faster running windows7 32bit ultimate edition and yes, windows sees and utilises all 8 GB of ram.

Freedom Scientific do charge more i think for what they call the professional version of jaws. That's for certain editions of windows i think its for windows7 ultimate, professional and enterprize/business. Standard is for home premium and basic i think. I would stick to windows7. Windows8 has a horrible interface and has been slated as the next windows vista by a lot of people. When i watched a video by GW micro, they were describing it and it sounds awful. The settings menus are convoluted and you have to enter multiple menus to get to where you want to go to the point where you forget where you've been. I certainly won't be installing it.

As for windows7 editions, there's not much between them all. Windows7 ultimate as the name suggests is the ultimate edition with all bells and wistles. The enterprize/business editions are geared obviously towards enterprize/business functionality so provide support for use cases where you're connecting to domains/servers across a corpret network. Windows7 home premium is more likely the version you'll find on your PC. this is geared more towards home users and provides a nice balance between functionality and features. Again, i'd recommend sticking to 32bit. While most applications may support 64bit, some drivers and anti virus products as well as applications do not work well on 64bit versions of windows. Clients have specifically asked me to downgrade to 32bit because for example their scanner drivers do not work on 64bit, but work fine on 32bit. for example, if you have a scanner that worked fine on XP, on a 32bit version of windows7 you could use it because XP emulation can be used in realtime to make the driver think you're running windows XP when you're really running windows7. on a 64bit install, this becomes a lot harder because the original driver is 32bit, not 64bit. Sorry if i've confused you!

If i can help in any other way please don't hesitate to get in touch. I'd be more than happy to give you a ring or converse with you off list to find you the best deal.

all the best,

Mo.

On 10/08/2012 14:24, Carol Pearson wrote:
Hi all,

Whilst seriously considering Apple, I'm also looking at Novatech for my next computer.

I realise it may not be a great time to buy, with Windows 8 still in Beta, so I'd like advice on the kind of spec I should be looking for in order to take full advantatage of Windows 8, bearing in mind that I'm sick and tired of slow, slow, very slow, stop speed!

In addition, please could people confirm whether Jaws Standard works on any flavour of Windows, or must I still upgrade Jaws for some versions of Windows?

Finally, if I start at Windows 7, what's the difference between the various versions?

Thanks for any input.

Carol P