[access-uk] Re: NO ITV AUDIO DESCRIPTION ON OCCASIONS

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:07:37 +0100

Hi Brian and all interested,

I've written to ITV, as I said I would, and will let you all know the
outcome, or any progress.

I wrote fairly strongly, being very annoyed that some of us had already
called with information that audio description had been interrupted
because it was obvious that they had taken no notice of such calls and
they hadn't called me back, as requested.

I wrote:

I write in respect of the above service and a telephone call I made to
your Customer Services on 4 April 2005.

I explained at this time that there appeared to have been no audio
description of the programmes "Coronation Street" and "The Bill" on
Wednesday 30 March 2005, nor had any apology been given for this.  (In
addition, I had learned that others have called with similar complaints
of the lack of audio description on other occasions during the past two
months and, although I had not contacted ITV until yesterday, there was
one other occasion on which I noted there had been no audio
description.)

I spoke to a lady who insisted "Well, there may have been . . . this
might have been the reason . . . it could have been . . ." etc and
seemed to make many excuses but give no proper reason or offer any
apology.  I asked to speak to someone with more authority and she said
someone might be able to call me back.  (This, I regret, did not
happen!)

Although her reasoning was that it may well have been that work was
being carried out and the signal therefore lessened, at 7:30-8PM in the
evening I doubted this and, in any case, even with some interference it
is quite usual still to pick up the audio description.

We have had cause to discuss this on a blind person's internet mailing
list and I have received at least three comments from others who, on
occasions, have not received the audio description expected and all
three confirmed they did not have audio description on 30 March 2005.
As some of us use the Preview service and others have SKY TV, and we
live in different parts of the country - it appears neither my
particular area or my way of accessing audio description is significant
here.  I can therefore only conclude that there was no audio description
transmitted on 30th March and that, so far as I am aware, no apology was
given either before or after any programmes affected.

I therefore also conclude that ITV must consider this a "secondary
service of no real significance", especially as others have telephoned
before me but without any positive outcome.

I would now appreciate a response to this message and suggest that it
would be at least courteous to offer an apology before showing any
programme which is not audio described and which was scheduled to be
described for us.  I look forward to hearing from you.

--
Carol Pearson
carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx