[access-uk] NFB Portable document reader

  • From: "Mark Threadgold" <m.j.threadgold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "accessuk list" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:49:04 +0100

Does anyone have details of the device described below in the RNIB ACcess I
T magazine July 04.

Extract of article: ++        The topography of technology: blindness, and
the
                               Luddite
                             Marc Maurer

In the 1970's the National Federation of the Blind participated in the
development of Dr. Raymond Kurzweil's reading machine. We said that we
would help him build the device if we could have the opportunity to
assist in the design. The partnership worked, and the machine was much
more useful than it might have been because of the contributions made
by the blind themselves.

This partnership has been re-established. Today the hand-held reading
machine is a goal we are jointly trying to achieve. A proof-of-concept
device has been built consisting of a very small computer attached to
a digital camera. The user can snap a picture of a page of text, which
the machine will read.

It sounds like just the kind of thing I am after but the article suggests it
is still in prototype stage.  Any more details about please?

Mark Threadgold

---

** vacation ## d