[access-uk] Movement of arrow keys / error not able to read audio data.

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris2007@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:14:26 +0000

Greetings,

I am sending this to a few groups, some of which are not specifically for
sound editting but hope there may be those who could advise.  I am also
sending to the GoldWave developer.

Two problems have recently surfaced on my systems.

First, I will define the systems being used.  I have two laptops, one
upstairs, an Evesham, about six years old, connected to a router via a lan
connection, it has Jaws V.10.0, WindoesXP Home Service Pack 3.  GoldWave
v5.25.  Downstairs, I have a Compak laptop, just over a year old, same
software as upstairs, wireless connection to the router upstairs.  The
connection usually gives signal strength of excellent.

My problems are these.

1. On the upstairs machine (not so far on the downstairs system) on about
three occasions, I have been editting a file, about two hours in length, on
two of them, just recorded, a .wav file 44,100 signed 16-bit stereo, I've
wanted to save it having played successfully in various parts to check.
When saving, it suddenly comes up with an error "cannot read audio data" and
reverts to the untitled.wav file. I have been able to force a save by
selecting parts then pasting them together and retaking the very small area
missed.  On one occasion, I have had a file which has previously been saved
and named, it has played in WinAmp and in GoldWave with apparrently no
problems, but then, when I want to save part using the save selection as,
i.e alt-e then y, we get the same error in part of the file but if I alter
and save the whole file, it does not happen.  I assume the program must read
through the whole file in order to save it. Of course, it ought to be
obvious that to make the sasve as selection, I have *made* a selection using
the start and end markers.

2. On both machines but at different times, not having made any changes to
settings or whatever, all of a sudden, I find using the left and right
arrows to move through a file does not work.  I have checked and the zoom is
set to a reasonable value, I've tried changing it and the arrow keys refuse
to move.  Upstairs, I simply uninstalled and reinstalled the program and all
was ok.  I wondered if it may be something to do with my upstairs machine
being a bit old, but then, last evening, exactly the same happened on the
downstairs system.

I will reinstall the program downstairs (first saving all my settings as,
indeed, I first saved them upstairs) and hope it will cure the problem.

From Colin Howard, who  lives near Southampton in
Southern England.