[access-uk] Mountbatten Brailler

  • From: "Michael Ray" <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:14:50 +0100

Hello list.

Forgive a slightly off-topic post but I can think of no better place to ask this question.

When I was at the Royal National College in Hereford in 90/91, there was what I would describe as an electronic version of the Perkins called the 'Mountbatten' Brailler. At the time it was spoken of in hushed tones, as if it was the Brailling holy grail. But since I've totally lost my sight in the last four years and have been taking more notice of the tools of our trade, so to speak, I have seen or heard no mention of it.

What happened to it?  Superseded?  Poor or unreliable design?

Is the good but clunky old Perkins still the cat's pyjamas as far as Braille typing is concerned?

Mike Ray