[access-uk] Re: More to accesibility than a synthetic voice (was telephone landlines)

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:56:09 +0000

Hi Jackie,

Perhaps we should be talking less about accessibility, more about the business
case for full inclusivity. The technology to make devices work for people with
different requirements is no longer prohibitively expensive. So I cannot
understand the reason why manufacturers are not maximising their market by
designing their products to the principle that if it doesn't work properly for
all the people we'd like to sell it to, it doesn't work properly. As we have an
aging population, and people so often acquire impairments as they get older,
there will surely be a lot more potential customers needing this stuff to work
properly for them in the future.

By The Way - audio-description provision is another half-baked idea that needs
to go back into the oven. I bet we could all think of others, but I'd be
interested to know who's getting it right.

Best,
Clive