[access-uk] Re: More on KNFB reader for phones

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 13:00:41 -0000

I suppose you could try, but with something of that value, I
sure as heck would want to make sure that it was fully
insured.  Of course by doing that, it would have to have a
full value commercial shipping invoice with it, and so sure
as eggs are eggs, it would get snagged by Customs.

Even if it was marked as "Articles for the Bind", you would
then need to deal with Customs to explain why.  And at the
very least, there's a 99% chance you would have to pay Duty
& VAT on the telephone itself.

Additionally, you may find as I do, that in addition to the
shipping cost, you have to pay Airline Handling and Customs
Clearance, likely to be around £25 each for those two items
alone.

There's an interesting article from the Guardian at:-
http://tinyurl.com/3e4d8y
which warns people about the hidden costs of importing good
purchased from abroad.

George.