[access-uk] Re: More Sight Village

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:37:42 +0100

OK guys,  I've kept quiet long enough.

First of all, I started Sight Village some 12 years ago, so
I do have some insight into what it's all about.

Second, from almost day one, BBC's In Touch have telephoned
round exhibitors asking what they have that is new or
interesting.  This does not stop any dealer contacting In
Touch directly.

Third, In Touch have taken a lot of flack for covering the
event "after the event".

This time they decided to do a piece on the Tuesday, leaving
the undecided an opportunity to come to Sight Village on the
Wednesday or Thursday.

The majority of exhibitors are usually contacted a week or
more BEFORE the event, and are asked if they could do an
interview of any new or interesting products.

In sheer practical terms, I personally would not expect an
In Touch reporter to go haring round the country beforehand
interviewing around 100 dealers.  Not to mention the fact
that many representatives come from abroad and don't arrive
until the week of Sight Village.

The bottom line is that BBC's Sunil Peck ran around Sight
Village on the Monday like a headless chicken, trying to
gather enough material, such that it could be edited on
Tuesday, and ready for a Tuesday evening program.  Many
exhibitors just didn't know how to keep appointments, so
missed out on even the possibility that their interview
would be broadcast, however brief.

The net result was probably better than any of us could have
done in the circumstances.

If any of you think you could have done better, then get
your C.V. out and send it to Peter White or Ian Macrae, and
we'll see just how well you do with a digital tape recorder
and an absolute deadline.

And if you want some outside of the BBC views, ask Brian
Hartgen what it's like.  Even he will admit that he didn't
have to meet a program deadline time.

George Bell.