[access-uk] Re: More Sight Village

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:48:03 +0100

Thanks for your comments James.

Yes, I have long thought the access tech market is skewed  towards
education/access to work, but I don't want to divert discussion into that
channel here.  Just that the latest cool wiz bang and highly unaffordable
gizmo inovation often gets the headlines, a case in point perhaps being the
KNFB portable reader;  a very good inovation and highly unafordable here and
more so given the customary UK price hike, but the same could be said of
much else in this category.

I don't know that one can easily separate out leisure from the more
necessary and boring stuff of life, such as work and dailly living.
Improved communication and access to text matterial surely goes across the
board.

Maybe the winds of change are beginning to blow.  B CAB and its official
launch of the new line on newer stuff such as Freedom Box and Guide is what
I'm pointing to here.  A sort of division between the access to work lot and
maybe the rest of us, or many of the rest of us.

I didn't look into these as I tend to feel I can get more useful info these
days from the net and various mailing lists, not to mention Podcasts.

What I was focusing on as much as anything was the world of greater access
to reading for those not in the computer world but who are, like it or not,
going to face moving on from cassette and analogue radio, a change they will
have to make terms with.  As a potential supplier of material this is where
I was coming from as much as anything else.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx