[access-uk] Re: More Sight Village

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:16:31 +0100

Hi

A good range of opinion on this one. I think that in an environment of limited resources, there are always going to be concerns about their distribution between the various informal interest groups of blind people. I am a student who has received technology funded through the provision of educational support. This support from Local education authorities is obviously geared towards students, and in that sense I can see your argument that the distribution of support and equipment is lopsided. However, I've often felt that RNIB and some other VI organisations place too much emphasis on the "leisure market", particularly in the tone of some of their promotional and informational materials, their emphasis on early years learning, their choice of books to transcribe into alternative formats and the apparent obsession with making leisure activities such as digital TV and other broadcasting, holidays, museums etc accessible. This is probably a little unfair, as the "leisure market" probably represents the majority of blind people in the UK. But, equally, please don't assume that educational/ATw users of the charitable and commercial organisations exhibiting at sV have things all their own way. I am sure there are many improvements that could be made in all areas, and that the organisations are trying to strike a very difficult balance.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "kevin cussick" <kevin.cussick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>