[access-uk] Re: Moderators on the list!

  • From: "Barry" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 13:29:16 +0100

It's fair enough that swearing might upset some people so we shouldn't use it,
after all, it's not necessary.  However, it's ironic that most kids over the
age of 11 swear when there are no adults around and adults swear when there are
no kids around but neither are honest and open enough to do it when they are
mixed.  Has any adult ever asked a kid if they are offended by swearing?  It's
not the children who are offended, it is a case of being offended by proxy.  Is
it because we don't want to corrupt the children?  Most know the words, use
them when adults are not around and are eventually and inevitably told not to
swear in front of the kids.  Personally, I think that the milder words, all of
which I hear on Radio 4, add colour and intonation to language, especially the
rather flat written language of email.  As Billy Connelly said, there is no
such thing as bad language; it is good language used badly.
Barry H