[access-uk] Mobile phone query (Very OT!!)

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:08:32 +0100

Apologies for this OT query, but I know that there are many list
members who are very knowledgeable about mobile phones and might be
able to save me scanning a  lot of print documentation.

I am one of those strange people who still use a mobile phone largely
for having a  conversation with someone at the other end of the line,
so my knowledge is largely limited to what I need for that purpose.

My  phone has various hot keys set up and I use them when needed, but
I               believe that in addition certain operations can be performed by
entering a string like *#xx# e.g. *#10# for "Store number". (asterisk
hash 10 hash if your screen reader is not set to read all the
characters).

My queries are

1. Are these codes general or specific to a particular type of phone,
and
2. If they are general, is there a list of the strings and their
function available on the Internet.
I  have been trying to find such information via a Google search, but
I am not sure how to describe the strings or codes concerned. .

Any guidance (off list, if thought more appropriate) would be much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas

Douglas Harrison