[access-uk] Mobile Phone usablity focus groups

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:00:02 -0000

Dear Listers

I have no personal or professional connection with this project detailed
below except for a contact has asked me to if I would post this to the list
to give it circulation.  I deem the Access UK list to be a most apropriate
forum for this.  Details are below including contact information at the
bottom.  If you are interested in taking part please contact the organisers.

Text begins:

Are you Interested in taking part in a focus group to look at the
accessibility problems of mobile phones for people with visual or dexterity
impairments?

Are you between 18 and 35?

Are you free on January 9, 11 or 12, 2006?

We are looking for both Braille or speech, and large print users!

The focus group sessions are being run by Toshiba mobile phones, in
conjunction with the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre for the Assessment and
Cognitive Ergonomics Lab, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
University USA.

The sessions will take place at the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre, Royal
College of Art, Kensington Gore, London SW7 2EU - tel: 02075904582, contact:
Julia Cassim.

The sessions are expected to last between 2 and  2.5 hours, and refreshments
will be provided.

Participants will also receive a payment of £35 plus their transportation
costs (petrol costs are calculated at 35p per mile.).

1. Participants will first discuss issues regarding problems of
accessibility of mobile phones, (around 30 minutes).

2. Participants will then be asked to perform 4
tasks on a phone model provided by Toshiba.  Each task will be followed by
ratings (on several questionnaire items).

3. The session will close with a group discussion.

We would like to videotape the focus groups, but will protect
confidentiality as per human subject ethical guidelines.  We need to capture
hands and voices.

Details on phone models, tasks, etc. cannot be provided due to proprietary
policies.

To get involved, please contact Julia Cassim, a Research Fellow Programme
Leader at the Royal College of Art's Helen Hamlyn Research Centre before the
16th of December 2005, on 02075904582. You can also send a fax to
02075904244. Julia's mobile number is 07890489829. Her E-mail address is:
julia.cassim@xxxxxxxxxx

Text ends.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn