[access-uk] Re: Mobile Phone usablity focus groups

  • From: "Christopher Edwards" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:26:00 -0000

Hi all,

I have just had an E-Mail from Julia Cassim about this user forum and am pasting the relevant parts of her message below. If you are now interested in attending please contact her directly.

Chris Edwards

Hi Chris
I've been in correspondence withToshiba regarding the age limit for the mobile phone user forums and they have agreed to waive the upper limit so long as
there are more youngsters than wrinklies like me. I need more partially sighted people so would you be able to recirculate the call for users? I've pasted
an amended version below. Thanks very much

Message from Julia Cassim

Are you Interested in taking part in a focus group to look at the accessibility problems of mobile phones for people with visual or dexterity impairments?

Are you over 18 ?

Are you free on January  11 or 12, 2006?

Details below:

Focus Groups for Toshiba mobile phones.

Location: Helen Hamlyn Research Centre, Royal College of Art, Kensington Gore, London SW7 2EU - 0207 590 4582

Contact person: Julia Cassim
julia.cassim@xxxxxxxxx

Duration:  2 - 2.5 hours, refreshments provided

Remuneration: Participants will receive £35 plus their transportation costs (petrol costs are calculated at 35p per mile.).

Structure of Focus Group

Participants will first discuss issues regarding problems of accessibility of mobile phones (30 minutes). Then, participants will be asked to perform 4
tasks on a phone model provided by Toshiba. Each task will be followed by ratings (on several questionnaire items) and then group discussion.

We would like to videotape the focus groups, but will protect confidentiality as per human subject ethical guidelines. We need to capture hands and voices.

Details on phone models, tasks, etc. cannot be provided due to proprietary policies.

Facilitated by the Helen Hamlyn Research Centre for the Assessment and Cognitive Ergonomics Lab, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University USA.

Julia Cassim
Research Fellow
Programme Leader, Inclusive Business RCA
Helen Hamlyn Research Centre
Royal College of Art
Kensington Gore
London SW7 2EU