[access-uk] Re: Microsoft endorsed Free Screen Reader for Office / Word

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 13:40:17 -0000

I also thought you had to pay for Eloquence if you wanted it to work with the
free Window-Eyes, but I seem to have got it for free.  It would be good to hear
if others can do the same.

I should point out that I have Eloquence linked to JAWS on my computer, but I
had tried to activate it for Window-Eyes and failed before I did the following.

Within Window-Eyes, I opened the Help menu and chose "Get more voices". That
took me to the GW Micro site. The first button on the webpage let me download
an authorisation file that I installed and I was then able to go to the synth
page of Window-Eyes settings, choose Eloquence and then activate it.

Even if you can't use Eloquence, that page allows you to download the English
Microsoft Speech Platform voice, Hazel, which I prefer to the Zira voice that
ships with the free Window-Eyes.

Steve