[access-uk] Re: Microsoft anti-spy program.

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:49:10 +0100

I'm afraid it is a sad fact of life that at some point in
time, developers are simply unable to produce products that
will work on more than a few operating systems.

You can read more about Microsoft's Life Cycle Policy at:-

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle

What Microsoft call "Mainstream Support" for Windows
Millennium ended in December 2003.  However, they have
committed to providing Critical Updates, and "paid for per
incident" support until June 2006 as explained below.

Paid incident support is now available through 30-Jun-2006.
Extended hotfix support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second
Edition ended on 30-Jun-2003. Extended hotfix support for
Windows Millennium ended on 31-Dec-2003. Online self-help
support will continue to be available until at least
30-Jun-2007. For additional information on the type and
length of support provided, review the Windows 98, Windows
98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Support Extended
Announcement Web site. Critical security updates will be
provided on the Windows Update site through June 30, 2006.
Microsoft will not publicly release non-critical security
hotfixes for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or
Windows Millennium Edition. However, customers may request a
non-critical security hotfix through On-Demand Security
Hotfix support, which is offered for these products through
June 30, 2006. When a request is received, Microsoft will
investigate the issue and try to provide an appropriate
response to the customer.

George.

programs
> or software they release will work with all the versions
of
> windows they are currently supporting which includes win
me
> for the next couple of years or so?
> I mean they shouldn't be able to release a program that
isn't
> compatible with a version of windows they are supposed to
be
> supporting?
>
> Husna

critical, and
> > making these updates available through Windows Update.
> > 2) By permitting paid for incident support
> >
> > I'm afraid "support" only refers to the two forms of
> technical support
> given
> > above, as well as self help through sources such as the
Microsoft
> Knowledge
> > Base.
> >
> > Will

win me? I
> > > thought MS are still supporting win me for the next
few years.

> > > Thanks, Husna

you
> can do about it.