[access-uk] Re: Mibile Phones and Low Vision

  • From: "Justin R" <mypc128@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:56:39 +0100

Hi Brendan,

like Andrew I went down the voice route on mobile phones when i got the
n-gage myself.  I was trying, initially, to find a phone with a larger font
display where, even close to hte phone i could at least see enough to
compose a short text message or at least see who i was phoning.  I didn't go
to many shops do do this but the ones I did were not very helpful.  Car
phone warehouse only showed me the different types of phones without putting
a sim card in just to see the display!!!  I did ask if they could but, no,
they weren't gonna demostrate the phone's display to me.  Phones4U were a
bit better but, they only had the n-gage in stock from the list of phones
compatable with talx and mobile accessibility.  i looked at the n-gage but,
although the screen is bright, so I've been told, lol.  i can see it's quite
bright but, the way others have remarked on it, especially  a v.i. friend of
mine from Guernsey.  Seems as though the phone's screen is especially
bright.  point is though, i couldn't adjust font sizes on it and, i couldn't
see the screen for navigation at all.  So, i had to have talx so i could
work the phone without using the magnifier.

In my experience, it's always been the old nokia phones, some of them, that
do have displays that i could get by on seeing close up.  HOwever, I get the
impression that newer nokia phones don't have the large-ish fonts anymore,
due to the fact they put som much on screen now.

I must say, for me, it depends on many factors.  I can't say black and white
or colour displays make much difference to me.  whether i could use a phone
with/without talx is all down to chance I'm afraid.

I forget what phone one of my other v.i. friends have.  his is a samsung
D-700?  something like that and the display is amazing!  i could see that
well fine.

Sorry, i haven't been more help though.

Justin