[access-uk] Magazines

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:27:51 -0000

Ray, I prefer all the Scottish Braille Press magazines, mainly for their
content as much as anything else.  I get all four of them: the Sporting Record,
Spectrum, Home Help and Madam.  But then I get a lot of RNIB mags too, all in
Braille, because I prefer reading shorter articles and browsing bits and pieces
than getting into longer books these days.  That's more to do with
concentration through pain than anything else, because I used to read a lot
more than I do now.

But I agree there is so much more online now that some of what is printed, by
the time it reaches your fingers, is outdated.  And, for those who like Email
and speech, TNAUK cover a wide variety of publications, but I don't subscribe
to these as I like my Braille to be honest, and it takes me away from sitting
at the computer all the time.  And while I use my display, and would hate to be
without it, there isn't a substitute for getting ripped into a Braille mag and
flicking through it quickly.

Jackie