[access-uk] Mac Accessibility

  • From: Thomas <mrnoisy98@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:14:48 +1000

Hi all,

I know this has already been discussed, but at the time, I didn't really pay attention, as I didn't need the information being shared, so please, kindly, forgive my ignorance.

I am aware that Apple Macintosh computers are "accessible" "out of the box", via the built-in screen-reader, "voice-over". Also, and I don't know if this'll help me at all, but it should help the kind people who are nice enough to help me, I do have an iOS device, so am aware of how to use Voice-over thereon. I have two main questions, which, may turn in to more, based on the information you share with me.

First, let me say, the reason I am asking these questions is because next year, I am doing a Certificate 3 in Music Technical Production--a two year course, if anyone cares. Today, I spoke with the man who runs the course, and inquired as to weather we'd be doing the work on Macs, to which he responded in the affirmative, adding that the work is mainly done in "Protools". I don't have a mac, and am not rich enough to afford one, so was wondering if anyone could answer these questions for me:

- Do you have any pointers for someone new to this? I am a Windows user, with a lot of experience in Android and iOS, as well. I am not going to treat the Mac as another windows machine, as I know this is the root of most people's problems in adapting to a new way of doing things. But, generally, are there any pointers? Mainly, how would I go about enabling Voice-over when I start my Mac up, and, can you recommend any tutorials for anyone who's a beginner, but is quite proficient on computers?

- Secondly, is Protools for Mac accessible? I know what it is, but have no experience with it, either on Windows or Mac. The teacher did say that they can arrange other ways of me doing the work, but it's obviously easier for both of us to do it the way it's already being done.

  Thanks so much for your help,

     Thomas
--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein