[access-uk] MP3SEARCH

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:57:45 +0100

Hi list members

I have been using the site www.mp3search.ru for downloading MP3 music files for sometime. Using JAWS 5.1, 6.0 and 6.2. Although the site is a bit of a pain because of the amount of information on each page it is generally accessible with only a few unlabelled graphics and other minor irritations.

Back on 17 July the site suddenly became inaccessible to JAWS. I have checked with a friend and there does not seem to be a problem with HAL. On reaching the site JAWS loads the page and then declares "no headings and no links". Switching to the JAWS cursor shows that the page is displayed on the screen but none of the links works properly.

I have checked the HTML and there appears to be a problem with an HTML statement in the meta data declaration.

The line in question appears to be

"<meta hot-equiv="Expires" content="Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:09:22 GMT">"

I have found that adding a terminator "</>" to this line causes JAWS to read the page properly on my machine. Unfortunately all the links appear to be relative so this does not solve the problem.

I have contacted the site pointing out the problem and asking them to fix it but I have had no response.

I have not yet taken the matter up with Freedom Scientific. I am not sure if there is anything that can be done by them. It raises some interesting questions. Firstly, I find it difficult to believe that mp3search is the only site to have this kind of error in its meta data. Secondly I am not absolutely convinced that this is the problem. Although the evidence suggests it might be I am unable to fully duplicate the problem away from the site - I know too little about the mp3search environment etc.

I would appreciate any comments.

Steve