[access-uk] Re: MP3'S FROM PLAY.COM

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:06:59 -0000

Your input is appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:52 PM (UK time), Isaac Porat at isaac@xxxxxxxxxxx said:

Hello Carol

First with play.com you can download files again if you loose them
see:
http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download/6-/Help.html?page=playdigitalfaq

The MP3 format is most common meaning that it is supported by all
software and hardware players.
It is a lossy format meaning that you loose some quality during the
conversion process ; largely depending on the bit rate.  Of course
price can be an issue but I personally would not consider a file
encoded in less than 196 Kbps; play.com do them in 196 - 320 kbps

The M4A format offered by apple is lossless (also called Apple
lossless) meaning that it is exactly like the original which is the
best (FLAK is another lossless format and there are others).

Converting a file in M4A to MP3 or WMA is feasible, but as these are
lossy formats,  you will loose something but in practice at about
256Kbps chances are that you will not notice any difference.

Finally converting from one lossy format such as WMA to another such
as MP3 is bad news as you loose quality further; this is because each
format uses a different acoustic model (related to the sensitivity of
the ear to different sounds) so put simply each format removes their
own bit off the sound.

Regards
Isaac