[access-uk] Re: MP3'S FROM PLAY.COM

  • From: "Isaac Porat" <isaac@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:52:01 -0000

Hello Carol

First with play.com you can download files again if you loose them see:
http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download/6-/Help.html?page=playdigitalfaq

The MP3 format is most common meaning that it is supported by all software
and hardware players.
It is a lossy format meaning that you loose some quality during the
conversion process ; largely depending on the bit rate.  Of course price can
be an issue but I personally would not consider a file encoded in less than
196 Kbps; play.com do them in 196 - 320 kbps

The M4A format offered by apple is lossless (also called Apple lossless)
meaning that it is exactly like the original which is the best (FLAK is
another lossless format and there are others).

Converting a file in M4A to MP3 or WMA is feasible, but as these are lossy
formats,  you will loose something but in practice at about 256Kbps chances
are that you will not notice any difference.

Finally converting from one lossy format such as WMA to another such as MP3
is bad news as you loose quality further; this is because each format uses a
different acoustic model (related to the sensitivity of the ear to different
sounds) so put simply each format removes their own bit off the sound.

Regards
Isaac