[access-uk] Re: MORE HELP WITH GOOGLEMAIL, PLEASE

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:49:18 +0100

Tris,

Thanks for your comments. I think I'd worked all this out but just wanted to stop getting that same spam material time after time. Looks like there's no solution to that one, then, other than to ditch the posts if I wish.

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:44 AM (UK time), Tristram Llewellyn at tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

I think you may be labouring under a miss-apprehension with the
"delete forever" button.  This button does not mean that you will
never be spammed by that user, it is intended by its name to alert
you to the fact that if you use this button to delete the contents of
the "spam" folder that you will not be able to retrieve it if you
happen to use "delete forever" by mistake.  In this sense it is
rather similar to a "deleted items" folder in Outlook or Outlook
Express where it is a sin bin and you can either remove the item
altogether or fish it out back to your inbox.  In terms of the "spam"
folder in Gmail there is a "not spam" button that will fish the items
back out to inbox if you wish.

The spam filtering in Gmail is really rather good and I almost always
delete whatever is in their almost on spec, you can teach it what is
spam if it arrives in your inbox by checking the item in the list and
using the "report spam" button.  Next time that sender arrives they
will automatically go into "spam".  Gmail however is so good I seldom
ever find myself doing this.  However a good aproach is to quickly
scan through the spam folder if you are expecting something that
hasn't arrived at the inbox.  Occassionally you get a false positive,
in which case the "not spam" button proves useful and it will never
be caught by the spam filter again.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Technical Support
Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing, Summerhouse Road, Moulton Park, NN3 6WD

Web : www.sightandsound.co.uk

Email: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Support: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979
        01604 798 000

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.
Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a trading subsidiary of 2nd
Phoenix Limited.

Registered Address -
Blenheim House,
York Road,