[access-uk] Re: Low cost CCTV's for private users

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 11:47:33 +0100

Colin.  Thanks for setting out succinctly the cold business calculations
which drive the access market.  One could say, in a business like, and
uncharitable fashion, that most on this list aren't worth bothering with,
(smile)

In a way I can say that I was thinking along the right lines regarding
Employment/education being the core earners for suppliers.  What I hadn't
before now realised is the importance of older customers in these
calculations.

The present role of charities will probably remain obscure as we ordinary
punters are unlikely ever to know the exact position of RNIB and maybe a
handful of other large players in their relationship with suppliers.  The
corporate hybrid charity/business nature of RNIB and others blurs nicely any
distinction that could be drawn between business and providing service to
those who cannot afford to be served by the market.  Markets provide choice
for those with money;  those without must, for the most part, accept what
charity has to offer, or go without.  Probably RNIB has it both ways;  it
can be self-serving and be of 'service' to us, depending on which face it
wants to show.

A consortium or buyers co-op is an interesting idea.  It is interesting to
speculate on what the eve-droppers on this list think about that.  They are
probably confident that no one will get it together and so can maintain
their aloofness and indifference to our needs.

In a sense if the solution Colin suggests in his message were ever to bear
fruit, then it would itself have to be something of a chimera;  business
analysis and methods allied to a notion of ethical service to a less
well-placed section of the VI community.

Ray.