[access-uk] Looking for some ideas please.

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: goldwave4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, avios@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, NTExpress@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, chris2007@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 01:13:15 +0100

Greetings,

On 22 September, I sent the message pasted below to the GoldWave4TheBlind
list and received no response, I did see the message come back to me via the
group in the normal way.

I am, therefore, sending the message again to that group plus some others
and also to Chris, the GoldWave developer, in case users may have an idea
and be able to assist.

I will not elaborate, the message is plain enough to those who use sound
editting programs.

I did not need to specify the version being used as this text followed on
from other threads relating to a problem users were having with the (then)
latest version, i.e v5.25.  Chris, the developer, was well aware of the
problem and was most helpful in providing a work-around and advised me
privately that he was looking into the cause.

I am still using v5.25 which, so far as I am aware, is still the latest
version released.

To: goldwave4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: GoldWave setup options.
From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:08:45 +0100

Greetings,

As a result of messages on the floating point problems people have suffered,
I took a look at the setup options but could not find anywhere in the manual
where it gives details of what these do.  Maybe I've missed it, if so,
please can somebody advise where in the manual these are covered?

If there is nothing in the manual, please can somebody explain what these
mean and the effect if I were to change the setting from what I have?

Here is the list as I understand it from the listbox.

in the list all is unchecked except where indicated.

disable effect plugins.
disable file format plugins.
disable visual plugins.
do not use open gl (checked).
disable  wave audio compression manager.
fix damaged fpu state (checked).
disable q/info/new warning messages.
disable background  wave form drawing.
allow playback while recording.
do not force windows ontop.
assume low priority processing.
reset audio devices every time.

Now, if I check allow playback wilst recording, would this mean that if I
pause the recording I can review what has been recorded?  If not, what does
it mean?  Would I get feedback?

From Colin Howard near Southampton in Southern England.