[access-uk] Re: LookTel smartphone software

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:14:39 +0100

That is a lot of money.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn Tookey" <Glenn.Tookey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2010 12:45 PM
Subject: [access-uk] LookTel smartphone software

Hi

Sight and Sound Technology will be the exclusive provider of the LookTel service when it launches in the UK, we are hoping that to be in June time - but not confirmed yet.

Firstly, it will be a monthly subscription service - around £25 (again not finalised). We are not sure of it will have OCR or GPS at launch.

Secondly, it is more than just taking pictures, it is a full object recognition device. It means that once you have trained the mobile to recognise something - say a can of Heinz Baked Beans or Tomato Soup or currency... then whenever it is in recognition mode (live video over the internet) to its base station (normally your home PC) it will announce to you what it has seen when you point it at an object. This will be very useful in the home or outside. It takes a minute or two to snap the images that you want to recognise and then you are away. At a later stage we will have bar code reading on it, so then you will be able to go into a supermarket and find products from bar code.

The GPS is coupled with live video / audio feed so that an assistant could guide you if you are lost. You can nominate more than one assistant who can log into your base station and help with recognition, training of object, location etc. We are considering extending this to the Sight and Sound help desk so that you could call us if you need some assistance.

It will recognise more than just products, it will also recognise faces and even places ( buildings) if you snap enough images to that they can be recognised later.

Like all of these type of products, they are not infallible, but we have been working with the developers for over 6 months (as have 200 blind people in USA)to make it the type of service that really gives independence and mobility to those with low vision. I have one working in the UK, it does not use much of my data package on my mobile, so it will not be expensive - currently on a windows mobile phone, but the range of phones will expand over the first 6 months.

Products such as the KNFB reader still have their own place as does Wayfinder, they all do a good job - Looktel is taking advantage of the advances in recognition technology and the increase in computing power of mobile phones. We want to be at the forefront of technology, bringing the best of the best to the UK market. Looktel is the next step.

Watch out for more information, I'm hoping that we will be up and running for Sight Village.

Regards
Glenn Tookey
CEO
Sight and Sound Technology