[access-uk] Lloyds banking: beware you could be in the red jaws users

  • From: "Damon" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:13:55 +0100

HI.

I'm interested to know how various online banking services indicate whether
your balance is in the red or black, a minus or positive, a credit or debit.

I've been using Lloyds online banking for years and think it's very good and
accessible.

They changed their layout and functionality a few weeks ago however, and it's
only today that I've noticed something that could have become a significant
problem had I not realised.

Previously Lloyds would display the letters CR after your balance to denote you
are in credit by that given amount, and DR if you are below the zero mark.

So 100.00 CR means you have 100 quid. 100.00 DR meant you were 100 in the red.

But they don't do this any more.

Today I was happily thinking I was 60 pounds in credit when I transferred 55
pounds over from a savings account into my current account. After the transfer
it showed I had 5 pounds. I was expecting it to be 115 pounds and quickly
realised that I must have originally been 60 pounds in the red not in the black
and that the 5 pounds was in fact minus 5 pounds.

On closer inspection, Lloyds now denote that you're in the red with a dash
before the pound sign i.e. -£5.00 means you have minus 5 pounds. The dash is
significant and it wouldn't be such an issue if the screenreader read it as a
minus sign but it doesn't.

It's not so easily picked up by a screenreader as the old £5.00 DR.

Remember to check very carefully whether there is a tiny little dash before
that pound sign. IT means minus, it's not just a spacer or a bit of layout
formatting.

Hoping this is useful to someone out there. Thankfully I was only alittle bit
overdrawn.

I'm going to email the online bank