[access-uk] Linking TVonics remote to TV

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brianh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:01:28 +0100

Hi everyone

Maybe this has been discussed before, and if so, many apologies.

We've recently taken delivery of the RNIB TVonics settop box for Freeview
and it is working fine. I set it up through our audio equipment only and
there are no problems.

However, my partner wants the unit to come through a TV and so this
afternoon I bought a Logik TV from Curries.

I have been unable so far to make the remote control of the TVonics control
the volume of the TV. I've followed the instructions for the automatic
tuning process and manually entering the codes listed in the instructions,
but it doesn't appear to work.

I am reluctant to return the TV and get an alternative because the same
thing might happen. So my questions are:

1.       Is this a common problem and if so, are some manufacturers better
than others in terms of getting this box to work, and

2.       How long should I leave it between presses of the channel up button
given there's no audible indication? If the remote is going to find the tV
on a press of channel up, does that happen within, say, half a second, or is
it longer? I am just trying to determine how much time I should leave before
attempting the process again.

Thank you very much if anyone can help.

Brian Hartgen