[access-uk] Re: Leaving computer on 24/7, safety risks?

  • From: James Scholes <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dj Paddy <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 21:47:05 +0000

Hi,
Thanks for all the info, much apretiated!
On Tuesday, December 02, 2008 at 09:43 PM (GMT), Dj Paddy wrote:
James,

I unfortunately dont' have the time to reference this but...

Electric Cost is on average £11 per year for a computer system to be on 365,
with no monitor.  That is according to the Northern ireland Energy Savings
Trust.

You'll have to take into account fluctuations in processor, hard drive
activity etc.

Safety, providing the unit hasnt' it's vents covered and an electrical fault
doesn't happen (that can happen with any electrical) appliance it should be
perfectly safe.

Most computers have sensors on their processors and motherboards that will
auto -power off the system if voltage exceeds what each component is set to
receive.

With such a large appliance it should also set a trip off in your houses
fuse box if something disastrous happened.

Whilst not an authority or an electrician.  I am Final year on my second
Computer Science Degree and have a years experience of working for an FT500
Software House as a Systems Engineer.

I know my folks back in the day would have always had concerns about me
leaving boxes on round the house, mainly down the cost and if I tryed to
justify why I was doing it or who told me it should be fine I'd be
questioned on who the person was that said this.

Sorry for any typos just in from a 13 hour day at University and a British
Computer Society committee meeting.

Barry.

Message sent at 09:46:07 PM GMT on Tuesday, December 02, 2008