[access-uk] Re: Laptop connection to network problem

  • From: Chris Hallsworth <christopherhallsworth71@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:15:27 +0000

Hi Andy, although this wireless connection I use here uses WPA-personal, another type of encryption, you may want to look in your wireless connection's properties, under the security page. You may be able to enter the wep key there. I know you can enter this network's WPA-personal key there as well, so this is just a stab in the dark. Going back to your "connect to" query, when you first connect to the network you should have been given options to "save the network", "connect to the network automatically", etc. If not, you may again be able to set these in the connection's properties. If you want to know how to get there in the first place, give us a shout. Hope that helps.

Andy Collins wrote:
Hi all -

When I try to 'connect to a network' with my laptop, I get the message:

"connection unsuccessful. This computer is connected to [SSID name] but does not have access to the internet - this might be cause by an incorrect wep key"

If it is to do with the wep key, then what do I need to do? I used a wep key when setting up the router, but haven't been asked for one when trying to connect with the laptop.

All ideas welcomed -

Andy