[access-uk] Laptop bulders / customisers. Help....

  • From: "David Mellor" <mrd.mellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:17:29 +0100

Hello group.
My laptop is on it's last legs and it's touch and go as to whether I can get
it booted up in the mornings now.
I'd like to ask the laptop builders / sellers on the list if they can
contact me privately,
dtemp1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or if no response, 01283 565056.

I would like a customised laptop as follows, and what would be the cost for
each issue?
I need a basic machine. 4 GB ram and 500 GB hard drive seem to be standard.
Graphics quality is not important at all. An Intel processor of around 2 GHz
would be good and faster and/or multi-core would be better but that's not
important either.
Ethernet (RJ45), Headphone socket and standard SVGA connectors.

* Can I get Win XP Pro, which I have a valid CD and key for installed into a
VMWare or similar virtual machine and NVDA setup in the Win XP machine so I
can use it without sighted assistance on receipt? I prefer to use Zoomtext
9.0 but I can install that myself so long as I can get the Win XP started
up.
* I need the internal built in microphone physically disabled by snipping
the cable or by removing the mic, for reasons of privacy in case of hacking.
I would still like the microphone socket to work if a microphone is
attached.
* Can I have a laptop without a webcam, or a webcam with a physical cover
over it (not sticky tape!). I understand that webcams can be disabled by
software and have their drivers uninstalled but both these measures could be
undone by anyone gaining remote access to the machine. This is not as
important as the microphone issue.
* Can you supply a disk with the operating system and drivers rather than
just relying on a backup partition on the hard drive. I don't really want
the backup partition at all.
* Two USB 3 sockets rather than the usual one.
* How about a Bluray drive which is also a CD/DVD writer?
* Can I get a spare battery? I leave my laptop permanently plugged into the
mains all day everyday and the battery would likely be no good for
travelling if I ever needed to.

Very many thanks and best wishes,
David